Thursday, February 8, 2007

Breaking Down Goals Into Achievable Tasks.

It hasn't been that too long since the New Year started ... so are you keeping up with your resolutions? :)
It's okay, I really don't know anyone who does, including myself. I think I've been getting closer to my goals a lot faster than normal, though, upon my sudden interets in the GTD meme. The reason why my goals have been getting more attainable?

I break them down into the tiniest tasks. I'll provide an example of one of my biggest goals: transferring to GA Tech.

It's daunting, especially for a math-phobic liek myself but I want to attend there for architecture and they have the best program around.

But getting into GA Tech, I imagine, is no easy feat. How do I go from where I am now to transferring to a school like that?

I break it into the smallest tasks possible-- and by smallest, I means tasks you can do perhaps in the next week or even tomorrow.

I write mine in the standard outline format:

I. Get accepted to GA Tech
A. Research the field--I have to make SURE architecture will be worth all of this, first off. This is the only reason why I'd attend the school. (They don't have many majors I want to grab. ;x)
  • 1. Go onto websites, such as the ones Kevin provided, and list down every pro/con. Compare to other fields of interest.
  • 2. Visit architecture firms; Jon said he could possibly help with this. If not, I'll have to find some way to contact one ...
  • 3. Find out courses I need and find out what I can branch off into if arch. isn't what I want after all.

B. Study for SAT
  • 1. Review math
  • i. Buy books on SAT math, look online to review.
  • ii. Sheffuu~ teehee. In addition to boosting my math skills for the test, this could help him sharpen his tutoring skills; it's win-win!
  • iii. Read "Up Your Score: The Underground Guide tot he SAT." LOTS of unconventional tips for the test.
  • iv. Do a couple of SAT math problems everyday to keep my mind fresh.
  • 2. Review english.
  • i. In addition to the above, read some articles every day, AT LEAST.
  • ii. Write more, whether it's for school or for this blog, etc.

C. Go that extra mile-- I am going to be realistic about my expectations; I am optimistic about getting better at math but I also have to consider the possibility that my math skills will not end up amazing. ;x However, I can also show off my academic commitment by doing more than what is required of me.
  • 1. Join a group.
  • i. Right now, I have 2 in mind: Circle K and UNICEF.
  • 2. Establish contact with GA Tech counselors. Especially the arch. department
  • i.Explore their website, try to contact them
  • ii. Set up appointments, and keep in touch with them.
  • 3. Scholarships
  • i. Find out potential scholarships.
  • ii. Map out essay topics
  • iii. Outline essay.
  • iv. Write essays.
  • v. Submit.



That is basically what I have so far. I can do most of these probably tomorrow if I could. In fact, I want to shoot for some of these this week. By the way, I have to take a moment to pat myself on the back for my progress last week. :) I completed all of my goals with the exception of furnishing my murals Myspace and applying to 2 scholarships. However, I DID look up scholarships and scholarship resources and am ready to work on my essays this week. :)

But anyway, breaking them into very small tasks makes a big goal more approachable. As you see each task being scratched out, you get more confident and you feel more in control of your life.

No comments: